Happy National Guacamole Day! I’m going to tell you something that may surprise you.
I don’t like avocados.
I just don’t understand the point! They’re flavorless mush. Yeah, healthy fat and all that, but really? What’s the hype? Maybe that’s why I was able to afford my house. I’m one of those millennials who didn’t spend all of my money on avocado toast.
However, I will almost never pass up some good guacamole. Yes, there is a difference between good guac and bad guac. I’ve had it before where it’s almost all avocado and ultimately flavorless. I’ve also had magical guac that I’ve wanted in buckets.
Guacamole is something I will indulge in at home, and I usually make it from scratch. It’s pretty simple once all the prep work is done. That’s why you can have restaurant style guacamole at home.
- 2 large avocados
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced and de-seeded
- Grape tomatoes, to taste
- Fresh cilantro, to taste (Can you ever have enough?!)
- Salt, pepper, paprika, and chili powder (also to taste)
- Minced garlic, about 2 tsp.
- Hot sauce, optional
- Mash the avocado well. I prefer my guacamole to be a bit smoother rather than chunky, but you can treat them however you’d like.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stirring with each addition.
Guacamole is an amazingly simple recipe. I don’t often use lime in mine. You’ll notice that I used hot sauce too. Again, I’m all about flavor.
Whether you’re hosting the next #TacoTuesday or you need something tasty to bring to a tailgate, this is a great recipe! Also, if you’re planning the rest of your week, Friday is National Queso Day!