Now that we’re officially past Memorial Day Weekend, it’s socially acceptable to grill out all the time. If you’re like me, you life in an apartment and grilling is more pain than it’s worth. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t have delicious grill ready recipes for your next cookout! This week: turkey burgers.
One of my favorite Parks & Rec bits is when Chris is trying to get City Hall healthier and threatens to remove hamburgers from the commissary. They go into a cook-off to see whose burger wins. Spoiler alert: beef wins. However, I think this is a pretty good recipe if you’re looking to be a bit healthier!
I’ve had the opportunity to make these turkey burgers for a few friends so far, and they are just delicious. A lot of times, turkey can be a bit bland, but these are FULL of flavor. I’ve got a secret trick that really changes the flavor.
- Ground Turkey – Fat content is to your choosing. For burgers, I generally recommend going with 85/15, but I’ve also used 93/7.
- Onion, chopped
- Garlic, minced
- Garlic Powder
- Poultry Seasoning
- Seasoning Salt
- Shredded Cheese – This is up to you. I happened to have mozzarella on hand, but you could use Pepperjack for a bit of a kick or Cheddar for something a bit more bold.
- Italian Breadcrumbs
- Saute chopped onion and minced garlic until onions are translucent. For these burgers, I like to keep the chop pretty big.
- In a bowl, add your meat and seasoning to taste. I used between 1/4 and 1/2 teaspoon for my 1/4lb. of ground turkey. Mix.
- Add in shredded cheese. This was about 1 tablespoon, but you can make it as cheesy or not cheesy as you’d like. Mix.
- Add in sauteed onion and garlic mix, olive oil and all. This adds so much flavor to these burgers! #cookingsecret Mix.
- This step is optional. You can let your flavors marinate together for 30 minutes to an hour. Just put the mixture back into the fridge, covered.
- Form into patties of your choosing. With 1/4lb, I made two patties, though I ate them a bit unconventionally for burgers. If I had a bun, this would have made one patty. Note: There was no one around to take a picture of me forming said patties.
- This step is also optional. In a separate plate, spread some breadcrumbs. A thinner mix is definitely preferred here. I wouldn’t recommend a panko style. Cover your patty entirely with a thin layer of breadcrumbs.
- Cook until complete. Depending on the heat of your grill or pan, cooking time will vary.
All done! Super delicious turkey burger recipe. I didn’t have any burger buns on hand, so I opted for the breadcrumbs. It creates a lovely golden outside on the burgers. Additionally this tastes extra delicious with my Everything Sauce. I needed a bit of green on my plate, so I opted for those mini pickles since I had a salad and leftover veggies for lunch. I also whipped up a quick pasta salad too.
Don’t fall under the impression that turkey burgers are flavorless. They can be amazing if you know how to cook them! Try this recipe next time you’re looking for something new for your cookout.